Judge Scott was appointed to the King County Superior Court bench by Governor Gardner in December, 1987, and served until January, 2005. Before taking the bench, he practiced law with the firm of Kleist, Davis and Arnold. He has served as the Litigation Coordinator and Acting Director of Evergreen Legal Services and as the Director of the Institutional Legal Services Project. He was law clerk to the Honorable Jacob Tanzer.
Experience & Specialties
In his seventeen years on the Superior Court bench, Judge Scott presided over a wide range of commercial, personal injury, domestic relations, real property, employment, medical malpractice, construction, and other civil litigation. He has conducted hundreds of mediations in the same wide range of cases.
While practicing law, Judge Scott specialized in the areas of civil rights, employment, personal injury, and criminal defense.
Judge Scott is frequently invited to speak at Continuing Legal Education seminars regarding motions and trial practice in the Superior Court. He has taught law practice as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Washington Law School and trial advocacy skills nationally for the Legal Services Corporation.
Special Honors & Memberships
- Consistently rated one of the top judges in King County Judicial Evaluation Surveys between 1988 and 2004.
- Chair, Civil Rules Committee
- Chair, Interpreter Committee
- Chair, Mental Illness Committee
- Chair, Facilities and Construction Committee
- Commissioner, Sentencing Guidelines Commission
- President, Board of Directors, United Methodist Temple Daycare
- Basketball Coach, Rainier Community Center, Lakeside Middle School, and Bellevue High School Girls Varsity
B.A. (with great distinction), Stanford University, 1970
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1974